Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Google Analytics Wish List

I cannot say that I am a Google Analytics expert, but here is my wish list for the program. Who knows if any of this will ever happen, but I can hope can't I!

  1. I would love to be able to track the links that are in Flash, as well as the html links.
  2. I would love to know where the user is going with their mouse. (It may even be nice to have some sort of averaging system that shows where the mouse is most of the time.)
  3. I would love to have some way of tracking where their eyes are going. (Ok, so this won't happen, but wouldn't that be cool!)
  4. I would love to know why they are doing what they are doing--maybe web analytics could have some type of qualitative section that they have found helpful--a tried and true method.
  5. I would love to know what the most common paths through the website are. This may be possible, but I haven't figured it out yet.
  6. I would love to know who is coming back multiple times to the site and where they are coming back to.
  7. I would love to have Google pump me out some feedback on how to improve my site based on what they saw, maybe like in Amazon style: "other people who had the same statistics made effective changes on their site like this" and give all kinds of good suggestions.
  8. I would love to have Google make dynamic content changes for me. (Ok, I know I'm going to far, but it would be nice).
Overall I think that Google Analytics is wonderful. It does some pretty amazing things, and you can't beat free! Just a few more bells and whistles would be nice, but I'll take what I can get.

2 comments:

dr. clint said...

Thanks for thinking through so many ideas. But thinking outside of Google Analytics, and in the ideal situation what do you think would be success metrics of online learning environments?

dr. clint said...

Maybe I should clarify what I meant as I just re-read it and realized what I said could be confusing ;)

You did think outside of the current functionality of Google Analytics, but I just don't want you to get stuck in your mind yet with any one tool. But I think you probably already knew that. :)